Motoman Robots Handling and Palletizing
Raw Rubber Bales
Motoman's solution cost 25% less than competitor's existing gantry-style systems, and will require less maintenance, thus providing additional savings. Cycle time: 7.5-8 seconds per bale - 25% faster than required 10-second cycle.
- Palletize 34-kg (75-lb) bales of raw rubber. Each bale is approximately 711 mm L x 368 mm W x 190 mm H (28" x 14.5" x 7.5") and is packaged in a plastic bag. Product is in a state between solid and gel that tends to settle and expand. Therefore, bales must be compressed slightly in order to palletize them.
- Robot must palletize product into one of three types of boxes, each with different stacking patterns.
- Ambient temperature in plant is often around 110° F with high humidity.
- Provide a less costly solution than existing robots that also will require less maintenance/service.
- Required cycle time: one bale/10 seconds - six per minute; maximum rate of 311 bales per hour.
Motoman Robotics Solution
- Motoman Robotics provided two mirror-image flexible material handling systems. Each system includes:
- Special SP160 robot with air-conditioned MRC controller. Robot has 160-kg (353-lb) payload capacity and four axes of movement on S-, L-, U- and T- axes. Special serial mechanical linkage keeps manipulator's end-of-arm (T-axis) faceplate and the product bales level during movement.
- 1.8 m (6-ft) steel robot riser.
- Custom end-of-arm tooling (pneumatic mechanical gripper).
- 774 mm (30.5") extension between T-axis faceplate and shock sensor/gripper.
- Flexview™ operator panel used for Man/Machine Interface (MMI).
- Integrated safety package, including 3.7 mm (12-ft) high wire fence, photo eyes, 3-color status beacon and siren, limit switches on the outfeed conveyor, and safety interlocked gates.
Motoman designed and supplied the custom mechanical gripper, which includes gripper open/closed and part present sensors.
Schedule a Consultation
See if robotics is a good fit for your business. Click below to contact an automation specialist with experience in your industry.