Motoman Robots Handling and Dispensing Sealant on Automotive Glass
Improved productivity two or three times over existing gantry systems that run one type of part and require manual changeover. Cycle time: 26 seconds on test part.
- Process eight different part combinations (six different sizes) with right hand (RH) and left hand (LH) part configurations, plus LH/LH and RH/RH only configurations for one part size.
- Provide flexible tooling/fixtures to handle multiple part sizes and shapes without manual change over or interruption in cycle.
- Achieve cycle time of less than 30 seconds per set.
- Achieve repeatability of ± 0.5 mm (.02").
- Improve productivity and flexibility over existing gantry systems that process only one part size and configuration at a time and require manual changeover.
- Minimizing need for operators to work in a fume-filled environment.
Motoman Robotics Solution
Motoman Robotics provided a highly flexible dual-process solution with custom tooling and fixtures, including:
- Two SK120 robots with MRC controllers for material handling
- Two SK16 robots with MRC controllers for sealant dispensing
- Two custom dual vacuum grippers including valves, pneumatic packages, part-present sensors and vacuum switches
- Two Customer supplied sealant dispensing packages, including sponge grippers
- Servo-controlled, flip-over station with part centering fixtures. Includes vacuum cups on fixed locating side and on servo controlled flip-over frame
- Two manual infeed shuttles with pop-up guide rails to position the various part configurations in Customer supplied racks
- Two manual outfeed shuttles
- Two operator stations with thumb wheel switches for program selection
- Allen-Bradley SLC/503 Programmable Controller
- PanelMate™ operator panel for Man/Machine Interface (MMI)
- Customer supplied preheat oven with fixtures
- Two sponge trays, with sensors to verify sponge position in dispensing gripper
- Two sponge removal stations with felt dab pads to remove excess primer
- Curing station that holds two sets of parts (four pieces total)
- Common base for SK16 robots and flip-over station
- Integrated safety package including: wire fence, two status beacons mounted on fence, four safety interlocked gates, three zone rings, and two light curtains