Motoman Robot Deburring
Extruded Aluminum Transformer Components
Cycle time: 45 seconds proposed. Achieved 23 seconds — approximately 50 percent faster than the requirement.
- Meet cycle time requirement of 45 seconds per part.
- Perform light deburr on aluminum extrusions using Customer supplied, heavy-duty deburring equipment.
- Deburr parts in two different directions while maintaining proper depth to meet customer’s specifications.
- Reduce reliance on skilled machinists through automation.
- Improve safety over manual deburring methods.
Motoman Robotics Solution
Motoman Robotics provided the following:
- SK16-UL robot with MRC controller
- 180° indexing turntable positioner with 113.4 kg (250-lb) capacity per side
- Operation station
- Custom end-of-arm tooling (mechanical gripper) with shock sensor and gripper open/closed sensors
- Allen-Bradley SLC 500 Programmable Controller to control peripheral equipment
- PanelView¤ 600 man/machine interface panel with touch screen
- Deburr station with fiber abrasive brush on air-actuated push core mounted on 1,067 mm (42") steel riser
- Customer supplied PushCorp, Inc. deburring station with sandpaper and fiber abrasive brushes
- Common steel base
- Integrated work cell protection package, including: Lexan plexiglass panels, safety mat, and electrically interlocked gate
Motoman designed and provided the custom mechanical gripper that consists of two pneumatically actuated jaws with part-present and gripper-open sensors. Motoman added part-present sensors to the four Customer supplied locating fixtures (jigs) mounted to the 180° indexing positioner. Two fixtures are mounted on Side A and two fixtures are mounted on Side B. No part clamping is required.