Motoman Robots Handling and Palletizing
Met all of the customer's palletizing requirements. Achieved cycle time goal of 16.5 cases per minute.
- Palletize filters in 950 different product/case configurations.
- Handle a wide range of case sizes from 305 mm L x 206 mm W x 104 mm H (12" x 8.1" x 4.1") up to a maximum size of 559 mm L x 419 mm W x 340 mm H (22" x 16.5" x 13.4"), weighing 453 kg-18 kg (1-40 lb) each.
- For all product case configurations, product identification codes must be facing out.
- Robot must also handle cardboard slip sheets, if required.
- Palletize product onto 11 different sizes of wooden pallets, from 1,016 mm L x 1,016 mm W x 108 mm H (40" x 40" x 4.25") to 1,219 mm L x 1,219 mm W x 127 mm H (48" x 48" x 5"). Some are palletized onto multiple pallet sizes.
- Achieve maximum cycle time of 16.5 cases per minute to increase productivity over current process with maximum cycle time of 14.5 boxes/minute.
- Achieve asynchronous case placement (picking up two cases at a time then placing them one at a time to fit pattern).
- Minimize floor space - i.e., fit into existing layout.
- Improve safety and reduce worker's compensation claims due to back injuries and carpal tunnel syndrome caused by repetitive motion.
- Minimize compressed air consumption.
Motoman Robotics Solution
Motoman Robotics provided two identical, highly flexible palletizing solutions. Each system includes:
- Motoman SP100 robot with MRC controller
- 1,219 mm (48") robot riser
- Custom vacuum gripper, including pneumatics and electrical package, adjustable vacuum cup locations, part-present sensors, and digital vacuum gauges/ vacuum sensors
- Slip sheet rack
- 4.8-m (16-ft) over/under powered roller conveyor with elevator
- Customer supplied 13.7-m (45-ft) curved section of belt-driven roller conveyor (BDLR)
- CAPE Pack '99™ palletizing software by CAPE Systems, Inc. n Motoman Visual Pallet™ software
- Integrated safety package including: 2,590 mm (102") high wire fence, photo eyes, and three safety interlocked gates
Motoman designed and provided a custom multifunctional vacuum gripper to handle various size boxes of product, as well as cardboard slip sheets. The gripper uses eight vacuum cups that are adjustable in two directions to handle one or two cases at a time, depending on the product size. Almost all products are handled two at a time. Part-present sensors are included. The same sensors are also used to sense the height of the slip sheet stack in the slip sheet rack. Vacuum grippers require only 40 cfm at 90 psi of compressed air, and feature digital vacuum gauges/ vacuum sensors.
Schedule a Consultation
See if robotics is a good fit for your business. Complete this form to talk to an automation specialist with experience in your industry.