Motoman Robot Laser Cutting Auto Bumpers
Achieved 27.5 second cycle time — 0.5 seconds faster than requirement. Met customer’s requirements for cutting tolerances. Bumpers produced meet end-customer’s stringent strength and quality requirements for crash performance.
- Provide flexibility to process several styles of automotive front bumpers.
- Cut 8 circles and 4 slots (12 total) precise holes in 3-mm (0.118") thick galvanized steel front bumpers.
- Achieve cutting tolerances of ±2-mm (±0.079"). Achieve cycle time of 28 seconds per part.
- Meet customer’s production rate of 1,400 parts per day based on two 7-hour shifts.
- Bumpers must meet end-customer’s stringent strength and quality requirements for crash performance.
Motoman Robotics Solution
Motoman Robotics provided a LaserWorld 200 system with custom fixtures, including:
- Two Motoman SK16X robots with XRC controllers.
- Class 1 light-tight 3.7-m L x 3-m W x 3.96-m H (10.5' L x 10' W x 13' H) enclosure with patented safety features, fluorescent lighting, and two custom-designed rotating door cylinders.
- Mezzanine for controllers, lasers and water chillers.
- Human Machine Interface (HMI) with color touchscreen.
- Programmable controller.
- Two operator stations.
- Two sets of custom-designed fixtures with spring-loaded and pneumatic clamping, including part-present and clamp open/closed sensors.
- Customer supplied 1,000-Watt Nd:YAG laser with water chiller.
- Customer supplied focusing head with filter to remove moisture.
- Assist gas delivery system — delivers nitrogen, oxygen or shop air to cutting head, provides positive pressure and purges head.
- Exhaust system.
- 6.4-m (21') powered slat conveyor for scrap.
- Common steel mounting base for robots and positioners.
- Integrated workcell protection package, including two sets of vertical light curtains at the operator stations, two 3-color status beacons, camera inside cell and black & white monitor outside enclosure.