Motoman Robot Handling and Packaging Automotive Transmission Gear Blanks
Motoman Robotics' solutions provide flexible, fully automated tote packing for all three types of parts without mixing sizes. Workcells easily handle current production rate of 140-160 of each of the three part styles for a total of 420-480 parts per hour. Multi-function gripper handles parts and dunnage trays. Automated inspection maintains ISO 9000 quality and traceability requirements. Additional robotic packing cell fed by the same conveyor can easily be added in the future.
- Fully automate the tote packing process and eliminate potential for mixing very similar parts.
- Handle three sizes of transmission gear blanks with lengths ranging from 30.69 mm (1.208") to 37.76 mm (1.487") and diameters ranging from 38.36 mm (1.51") to 43.76 mm (1.723"). Blanks weigh from 0.227 kg (0.5 lbs.) to 0.297 kg (0.655 lbs.).
- Handle dunnage trays using the same gripper.
- Eliminate need for 100% manual inspection of each part while still maintaining ISO 9000 quality and traceability requirements.
- Provide capability to add additional robotic packing cell fed by the same conveyor.
Motoman Robotics Solution
- Motoman Robotics provided two highly flexible packing solutions that feature identical equipment. Each UP20 packing system includes:
- UP20 robot with XRC controller.
- Custom multi-function gripper, including pneumatics package.
- Three tote stations, including infrared sensors to indicate tote presence.
- One dunnage tray station, including sensors.
- One part inspection (QC) stand.
- Common metal base for tote stations and tray station.
- Workcell protection package, including 8-ft wire fencing and a safety-interlocked gate. Both cells are fed by a Customer supplied powered multi-lane belt conveyor controlled by an Allen-Bradley SLC/503 PLC. This conveyor currently is configured with two end-stops – one for each robot cell. Each end-stop accurately locates individual parts for robotic pickup from three conveyor lanes.
Motoman Robotics provided custom multi-function end-of-arm tooling consisting of mechanical grippers mounted on extension cylinders, plus four vacuum gripper cups that pick up the dunnage trays used to separate layers of parts within the dunnage tote. The mechanical jaws grip the inside diameter of the parts. Sensors indicate gripper open/closed conditions. The vacuum gripper is also used to sense the height of the tray stack, as needed.