Motoman Robots Arc Welding Motorized Graders (Construction Equipment)
Robot system meets or exceeds all project goals. Allows customer to build on two shifts what would have taken three shifts, eliminating a production bottleneck. System requires two operators versus 10-11 skilled welders. Flexible system accommodates various models/batch runs with easy changeover; operator simply selects new program using robot teach pendant. Tandem arc welding is at least 2.5 times faster and can eliminate need for multiple passes on long, Heavy-Deposition welds, saving cycle time.
- Provide flexible robotic welding system to automate welding of new design of motor grader with seven models. Front, middle and rear assemblies are manually pre-tacked prior to robotic welding, then manually welded together to form the final frame.
- Large, heavy parts consist of mild steel plate 19.05-76.2 mm (0.75"-3") thick. Depending on the model, rear frames weigh more than 2,000 kg (4,410 lbs) each; front frames weigh approximately 1,450 kg (3,197 lbs) and mid-section frames weigh approximately 1,500 kg (3,308 lbs). Each frame section requires 50-150 welds, which range from 101.6-2,743.2 mm (4"-9') L.
- Improve productivity and shorten lead time.
- Reduce dependency on skilled human welders due to shortage.
- Make aesthetically pleasing welds on outside of grader frame that do not need to be ground down prior to being painted.
- Accommodate low ceiling in plant with non-gantry robot system.
Motoman Robotics Solution
Motoman Robotics provided a custom HP50-20 welding system, including:
- Motoman HP50-20 (extended reach) robot with NX100 robot controller.
- Robot base riser.
- 5-m (16.4') servo track with 1,000-kg (2,205-lb) capacity.
- (2) Tandem-arc GMAW torch packages, and 500-amp digital welding power sources, with interface to NX100 robot controller.
- 1,000-lb bulk wire reels with high-speed wire-assist feeders.
- Automatic wire cutter and tandem torch reamer.
- 200-V Com-Arc seam-tracking and touch-sensing package.
- Motoman MT1-3000 S2X two-axis servo-tilt/rotate skyhook positioner with 3,000 kg (6,165-lb) payload capacity. X-axis orbital speed is 0-1.9 rpm. Y-axis orbital speed is 0-2.7 rpm.
- Motoman VMH-3000 3SX three-axis, two-station servo-powered positioner. Includes two headstock/tailstock positioners mounted on a rotating base axis. Each headstock/tailstock has a 3,000 kg payload (6,000 kg/13,230 lb payload total). Span between headstock/tailstock faceplates is 3.75 meters (12.3'). Index time is 5 seconds.
- (2) Operator stations (one per welding station). Functions: Job Start, Emergency Stop, Hold, Alarm Reset, and Servo Power-up. Palm button for cycle start activation. Ready signal light and alarm indication light. Positioner auto/manual switch. Thumbwheel switch for program selection (up to 100 programmed jobs) and manual positioner jog joystick.
- Workcell protection package, including safety fencing, light curtains, and three safety-interlocked access gates. Meets Canadian CSA Z434-03 robotic safety code as well as ANSI/RIA R16.06-1999 safety standard.
Customer provided manual fixtures for this project. Operators manually bolt frame parts onto the two positioners. Robot welds grader front and rear assemblies on VMH-3000 3SX positioner; mid-sections on MT1-3000 S2X positioner.