Motoman Robot Handling and Machine Loading
Raw Cast Pipe Fittings
Flexible system meets all project goals and objectives. Robot handles all required part types. Actual cycle time achieved is 25-30% faster than requirement. System maximizes throughput by eliminating downtime. System reduces manual labor, and increases safety by eliminating repetitive motion injuries.
- Provide flexible robotic system capable of loading raw pipe couplings into a hydraulic trim press at the required production rate of 4.8-6.9 seconds per pick, depending on part.
- Robot will handle four sizes of parts: 19.05 mm x 12.7 mm (0.75" x 0.5") couplings weighing 0.14 kg (0.31 lbs); 19.05 mm x 19.05 mm (0.75" x 0.75") couplings weighing 0.17 kg (0.37 lbs); 25.4 mm x 19.05 mm (1" x 0.75") couplings weighing 0.218 kg (0.48 lbs); and 38.1 mm x 38.1 mm (1.5" x 1.5") couplings weighing 0.567 kg (1.25 lbs). Changeover of gripper fingers and part-holding fixtures will be manual.
- Parts will be batch run. Operator will orient parts when loading them into the fixtures and only one type of parts will be in the fixtures at a time.
- Reduce the need for manual labor.
- Maximize system throughput by eliminating downtime.
- Improve operator safety by reducing repetitive stress injuries.
Motoman Robotics Solution
- Motoman Robotics provided a flexible HP20 robot system to load parts into the hydraulic punch press, including:
- Motoman HP20 robot with NX100 controller.
- XOIO1 Discrete I/O Module with 40 NPN optically isolated inputs and 40 outputs (16 with relay contacts and 24 resistor type, all rated at 24V DC).
- Motoman 180-degree indexing positioner with 100 kg (220.5 lb) payload and approximately 2-second index time.
- Custom mechanical gripper.
- (2) Machine loading operator stations – fence-mounted, with thumbwheel program selection and emergency stop, robot enable/disable, robot startup/shutdown, door guard up/down, and lamp test functions.
- Cell guarding package that meets ANSI/RIA R15.06-1999 safety standard. Includes 2.44-m (8') H woven-wire perimeter safety fence, two access gates with positive-break safety switches, and three-color status beacon.
Motoman Robotics provided the custom end-of-arm tooling for the robot, consisting of two parallel jaw mechanical grippers. The gripper was designed to handle parts two at a time. Extra jaws (changeable gripper fingers) enable the robot to handle all required part sizes. Tooling includes gripper open/closed sensors. Gripper includes electrical and pneumatics package. Motoman integrated the Customer supplied fixtures designed to allow the robot to pick up two parts at a time.
Schedule a Consultation
See if robotics is a good fit for your business. Complete this form to talk to an automation specialist with experience in your industry.