Motoman Robot Handling and Machine Tending
Automotive Console Components
Robot system automates loading of cargo boxes and left and right side pieces into a vibration welder and also unloads welded assemblies onto an outfeed conveyor. Robot system loads/ unloads vibration welder in approximately 26 seconds (3 seconds faster than requirement). Faster loading/unloading increases throughput capacity by more than 11%, enabling the welder to produce significantly more parts per shift. Robot system improves ergonomics and operator safety by significantly reducing repetitive motion and lifting-related injuries.
- Automate loading of one style of automotive console parts into a vibration welder and unloading of welded assemblies. Molded plastic parts consist of a left side panel, right side panel and cargo box. Left and right sides weigh 0.57 kg (1.25 lbs) and cargo boxes weigh 2.04 kg (4.5 lbs). The welded assembly weighs 3.4 kg (7.5 lbs).
- Load/unload the welder in approximately 29 seconds, providing sufficient time for vibration welder to achieve an overall cycle time of 42 seconds.
- Improve ergonomics and improve operator safety by reducing repetitive motion and lifting-related injuries.
Motoman Robotics Solution
- Motoman Robotics provided a custom HP50 handling system, including:
- Motoman HP50 robot and NX100 controller with additional XOI01 discrete I/O module.
- S-axis hard stop.
- Custom end-of-arm tool – combination mechanical and vacuum cup gripper.
- Electrically driven roll-up door with 3-second raise/lower time; dual-channel door up switches; overload protection; and fixture mounting table.
- Fixture package.
- Outfeed conveyor – slider bed belt conveyor with 1,778 mm (70") effective length; 406.4 mm (16") effective width; and speed of 9.14 m (30') per minute. Includes controls package, sensors, side guides and stops.
- Operator station mounted on fence. Functions include emergency stop, hold, alarm reset, servo power, cycle start, ready signal light, alarm indication light, and job start.
- Cell guarding package that meets ANSI/RIA R15.06-1999 safety standard, including: 2.44 m (8') high woven wire perimeter safety fence; 1,219.2 mm (48") W access gate with positive break safety switch; and 1,219.2 mm (48") W safety light curtain.
Motoman Robotics provided a fixture package designed to hold one left side piece, one right side piece, and one cargo box at a time. Poured urethane fixtures are designed to be loaded by an operator and unloaded by the robot. “Poka-yoke” (mistake proof) design only allows parts to be loaded one way. Part-present and sensors are included. Motoman also provided custom end-of-arm tooling consisting of vacuum cups to handle individual cargo boxes along with both side pieces, as well as a mechanical gripper to handle assemblies. Includes gripper open/closed sensors, vacuum and part-present sensors, vacuum generators, and electrical and pneumatics packages.