Motoman Robot Handling and Flame Cutting
Fabricated Metal Components
Parts can be flame cut using three different load/unload scenarios, providing tremendous flexibility. Cycle time results better than customer expected. Part alignment time reduced 50%. Customer satisfied with cut quality and consistency.
- Highly flexible system required to handle 1,000 different parts while maintaining high quality cuts. Three sample parts ranged from 14-32 mm (0.55” - 1.26”) thick steel up to 2,789 mm (109.8”) L x 1,200 mm (47.24”) W.
- Maintain angularity ±1 degree and dimensional tolerance ± 5 mm (0.20”).
- Reduce time required for part alignment prior to flame cutting.
Motoman Robotics Solution
- Motoman Robotics provided a highly flexible solution, including:
- SK300X robot with XRC controller. Robot includes zone ring.
- 8.7-m (28.54-ft) servo track with 1,134-kg (2,500-lb) payload capacity and a 6.92-m (22.7-ft) stroke. Track features 4.5 Kw servo motor and includes two overtravel switches and a home switch.
- Electro-magnetic gripper with two magnets with adjustable positions (32” on center). Includes controller that generates power for magnets.
- Two SK16MX robots with XRC controllers on 4-ft steel robot riser bases.
- Two 30 mm (1.18”) oxy-fuel cutting torches that use propane gas.
- Two gas control panels.
- Ignitor on stand. Automatic torch light and torch flame on sensor.
- Two operator stations with thumbwheel selection of up to 999 programs each.
- External touch-sensor probe device on SK16MX robot used to search for part edges.
- Two flame-cutting tables, approximately 2 m x 6 m (6.6’ x 19.7’), equipped with pins to support parts.
- Two part tables for loading/unloading.
- Part alignment table with sensors.
- Elevated cable track on wire fence.
- 2.4-m (8-ft) H safety fencing, two vertical light curtains, and three safety-interlocked gates.
Motoman integrated an off-the-shelf magnetic gripper and provided a part orientation table featuring spring-loaded pads with sensors to robot inputs. Motoman also provided the custom flame cutting tables.
Schedule a Consultation
See if robotics is a good fit for your business. Click below to contact an automation specialist with experience in your industry.