Motoman Robots Laser Cutting
Automotive Front Radiator Supports
Achieved required 32.5-second cycle time. Met customer’s requirements for cutting tolerances. Parts produced met customer’s quality and throughput requirements.
- Provide flexibility to accurately laser cut more than 40 complex shapes per part into two different part numbers. Parts consist of 1-mm (0.04") galvaneal tube blanks approximately 1,525-mm (60.04") long. Both fixtures within a cell run a common part number.
- Achieve cycle time of 32.5 seconds per part at 100% efficiency.
- Achieve hole sizes of ±0.4 mm, except for access, drainage, and lightening holes which are ±2.5 mm for location and size. Location tolerance for control and fabrication holes is ±0.25 mm.
Motoman Robotics Solution
Motoman Robotics provided two LaserWorld 220 systems. Each system includes:
- Two Motoman SK16X robots with individual XRC controllers. Additional features: extended cables, Expanded Memory, Expanded I/O, Relative Job Shift Function, MotoCal Robot Calibration, FORMCUT function, and Macro Job Function.
- Two MH-340 AC Servo Positioners with Live Center Axis. Capacity 340 kg (740 lbs.) with center of gravity, 6" overhang, 6" off center. Table: 457.2-mm (18") diameter headstock mounting plate.
- Two pass-through enclosures with darkroom-style doors.
- Two Customer supplied 1000-Watt Nd:YAG laser packages, each with focusing head. Laser diode pointer, water-to-air chiller, and PC with modem.
- Customer-provided compressed air assist gas at 80-100 psi.
- Allen-Bradley SLC-5/03 Programmable Controller with PanelView 600 operator interface.
- Class 1 light-tight (10' L x 9' W x 12’H) enclosure with patented safety features, fluorescent lighting, safety-interlocked access door, black-and-white camera and monitor package for process monitoring, laser emission status indicator, wire ways and cable trays within cell enclosure. Light curtain mounted at an angle to the floor protects the operator load stations.
- Common robot/positioner base, and common steel mounting base for robots and positioners.
- Exhaust system.
- Powered belt conveyor for scrap removal.
Motoman Robotics provided one common fixture design for part numbers and four pneumatically clamped fixtures with proximity sensors to indicate part-present and clamp-closed conditions.
Schedule a Consultation
See if robotics is a good fit for your business. Click below to contact an automation specialist with experience in your industry.