Motoman Robot Handling, Assembling, and Packing
Automotive Brake Assemblies
System achieves required 30-second cycle time (excluding tier sheet handling). Robot solution improves safety and part quality, while maximizing system throughput by eliminating downtime.
- Automate manual process to improve quality. n Manipulate one style of brake adapter plate assemblies with mirror-image left-hand (LH) and right-hand (RH) versions for insertion of four bolts by a bolt runner machine; palletize parts into separate dunnage baskets for LH and RH parts (20 per layer); and add slip sheets between layers, as required. Parts are 196.85 mm x 209.55 mm x 25.4 mm (7.75" x 8.25" x 1.0") and weigh 1.76 kg (3 lbs, 14 oz).
- Achieve cycle time of approximately 30.0 seconds, exclusive of tier sheet handling time.
- Improve operator safety.
- Maximize system throughput by eliminating downtime.
Motoman Robotics Solution
Motoman Robotics provided a custom UP50-35 solution, including:
- Motoman UP50-35 robot with XRC 2001 controller.
- Robot base riser.
- MSR-200 indexing turntable with 1,524 mm (60") diameter tabletop with tooling mounting plate; 200 kg (441-lb) capacity per side; 90-degree rotation (configured for 4-position index); and 4-second sweep time, fully loaded.
- Custom end-of-arm tooling – Combination mechanical and vacuum gripper designed to handle set of LH and RH parts or one slip sheet at a time.
- (4) Part locating fixtures mounted on positioner tabletop.
- Bolt runner machine includes: – Vibratory bowl feeder with dual outfeed gravity track and shuttle escapements to dual-tube part blow-feed system. – Vibratory hopper feed system with 2 cubic ft capacity – (2) pneumatic spindles with stroke sensor, torque limit sensing, and part-present sensors. – Micro PLC controller with disconnect junction box.
- Customer supplied tier-sheet rack.
- Customer supplied infeed conveyor for dunnage trays.
- Note: Customer was responsible for all cell guarding required to meet ANSI/RIA 15.06-1999 safety standard.
Motoman Robotics provided custom end-of-arm tooling and part locating fixtures. Dual-station mechanical gripper assembly grasps individual LH and RH parts using two three-jaw grippers. Gripper grasps parts using inside diameter. Two vacuum gripper cups handle individual slip sheets. Motoman Robotics provided four part locating fixtures. Each fixture accommodates one LH and one RH part in dedicated positions. An elevated rest pad with notched base allows the robot arm and gripper access below part level. Three rest pads and one locating pin per part locate parts accurately for the bolt insertion operation.
Schedule a Consultation
See if robotics is a good fit for your business. Click below to contact an automation specialist with experience in your industry.