Motoman Robot Handling and Case Packing
Bundles of Shipping Envelopes
System fully automates case and gaylord packing operations and meets or exceeds all project goals and objectives. System achieves cycle time of 9.0-9.5 seconds for gaylords, with complete gaylord fill of 25-count bundles in 11.74 minutes (14.9% faster than 13.8 minute requirement), and 50-count bundles in 6.5 minutes (47.1% faster than requirement). System achieves cycle time of 9.0 seconds to pick and place a stack of eight bundles. Overall case packing rate is 5 cases per minute.
(Dimensions are mm (inches) unless otherwise noted.)
- Fully automate case and gaylord bundle packing processes to pack eight 25-count shrink-wrapped bundles of cardboard shipping envelopes into RSC cases at a maximum rate of 40 bpm, and also pack bundles into gaylords with tier sheets between layers at a maximum rate of 40 bpm for 25-count bundles and 20 bpm for 50-count bundles.
- Gaylords hold 46 layers of 25-ct bundles and 23 layers of 50-ct bundles. Wooden base pallets for gaylords are 1,219.2 L x 1,016 W x 133.4 H (48 x 40 x 5.25) and weigh 22.67 kg (50 lbs). Chip-board type material tier sheets are 1,219.2 L x 1,016 W (48 x 40).
- Envelopes are 317.5 L x 262.6 W (12.5 x 10.34) and 25-ct bundles are 22.86 (0.90) H and weigh 1.14 kg (2.51 lbs) while 50-ct bundles are 45.72 (1.8) H and weigh 2.28 kg (5.03 lbs).
- RSC cases are 333.5 L x 247.65 W x 279.4 H (13.13 x 9.75 x 11.0); gaylords are 1,104.9 L x 1,016 W x 1,149.35 H (43.5 x 40 x 45.25).
- Reduce overall floorspace required for both operations.
- Maximize system throughput by eliminating downtime, and reduce costs by improving productivity and flexibility while improving operator safety.
Motoman Robotics Solution
- Motoman Robotics provided a flexible packing HP165 solution, including:
- HP165 robot with NX100 controller.
- Allen-Bradley SLC 5/04 PLC.
- Allen-Bradley PanelView 600 HMI.
- Custom end-of-arm tool (case pack) – mechanical paddle gripper.
- Custom end-of-arm tool (gaylord pack) – vacuum gripper.
- (2) Pallet/gaylord locators.
- Tier sheet pallet stack locator.
- Case conveyor system – 6.2-m (20') L lineshaft conveyor; 457.2 mm (18") effective width; air-operated blade stop, case crowding mechanisms, and flap containment device.
- Bundle infeed conveyor system, includes: 4.57-m (15') belt conveyor with fixed end-stop; layer forming system consisting of pusher unit to move bundle rows onto a table with adjustable side guides, and two case pack bundle up-stacking units.
- Cell guarding package that meets ANSI RIA R15.06-1999 safety standard, including zone ring; perimeter safety fence; five access gates with positive-break safety switches, two light curtains, two conveyor pass-through openings protected by three-sided enclosures to limit operator reach into the cell; and dual-channel safety hardware for access gates and light curtains.
Motoman Robotics provided one set of custom end-of-arm tooling for case packing and one set for gaylord packing. Manual changeover is required. Case packer: single-zone mechanical paddle gripper handles eight 25-ct bundles at a time. Pneumatic paddles compress stacks to facilitate case loading. Gaylord packer: vacuum gripper handles 12 (25- or 50-ct) bundles at a time in a 4 x 3 matrix. Layers are opposed 180° to avoid stack-up. Same gripper also handles tier sheets between layers, as required.
Schedule a Consultation
See if robotics is a good fit for your business. Click below to contact an automation specialist with experience in your industry.