Easily achieved customer's required production rates. Met customer’s requirements for cutting tolerances.
- Provide flexibility to laser cut 16 different parts numbers of galvanealed tube, 1.245-2.032 mm (0.049"-0.080") thick, for right- and left-hand automotive frame components. Longest parts are 2,375 mm (93.5") long.
- Cut holes and slots in 2,000 sets of frames per year.
- Achieve trim tolerances of ±1.0 mm (±0.0394"); hole sizes of ±0.4 mm (0.0157"); and hole location tolerance of ±0.25 mm (0.0098").
- Change (Customer supplied) fixtures every 50 parts, with fixture change to be completed in a half-hour.
Motoman Robotics Solution
Motoman Robotics provided a modified LaserWorld 6016 system with custom fixtures, including:
- One Motoman SK16X robot with dual-channel XRC 2001 controller. Additional features: Expanded Memory, Expanded I/O, MotoCal Robot Calibration, FORMCUT Function, and Macro Job Function.
- Servo track for robot with 3-meter stroke/travel.
- 1000-Watt Nd:YAG laser package with focusing head, Laser diode pointer, water to air chiller, and PC with modem.
- Customer-provided compressed air assist gas at 100-110 psi.
- MRM2-500 dual ferris-wheel positioner headstock/ tailstock positioner with 500-kg (1,100-lb) capacity per side, 3.5-m (11.48') span between headstock/tailstock faceplates, and 8-10 second sweep time.
- Allen-Bradley SLC 5/03 Programmable Controller with PanelView 600 operator interface.
- Class 1 light-tight 3.7-m L x 3-m W x 3.96-m H (22' L x 12' W x 12' H) enclosure with patented safety features, fluorescent lighting, safety-interlocked access door, black-and-white camera and monitor package for process monitoring, laser emission status indicator, wire ways and cable trays within cell enclosure. Light curtain protects operator load station.
- Customer supplied exhaust system.
Customer supplied 15 different sets of manually clamped fixtures. Individual sets are located on a common tool mounting spanner using a unique locating scheme. Sensors identify the fixture set and indicate part presence and clamp conditions. The PanelView displays fixture status. The PLC automatically selects the proper program.