Robot palletizing system meets or exceeds project goals and objectives. Customer currently has multiple identical systems installed and more planned. For every product type, robot palletizing system meets or beats required cycle time. System palletizes logs and performs any necessary slip sheet and pallet handling in 25 seconds, which is 7 seconds (nearly 22 percent) faster than the required 32-second cycle time. Highly flexible robot solution palletizes signature lengths ranging from 20-32 inches into more than 30 different pallet pattern configurations (six times more patterns than the five initially required).
- Provide a robotic material handling system that can palletize bundled logs of book signatures onto two different sizes of pallets and place slip sheets between layers, as needed.
- Log sizes range from 508 mm L x 114.3 mm W x 225.4 mm H (20" L x 4.5" W x 8.875" H) to 812.8 mm L x 228.6 mm W x 255.6 mm H (32" L x 9" W x 10.1" H). Maximum weight is 113.4 kg (250 lbs).
- System must be able to palletize logs in five specified stacking patterns, as required. Stacks are a maximum of 1,524 mm (60") H (plus pallet height).
- Pallets are 1,066.8 mm or 1,524 mm L (42" or 60" L), 1,219.2 mm (48") W and weigh 36.3-49.9 kg (80-110 lbs).
- Robot palletizing system must be able to achieve 32-second cycle time to match machine output.
Motoman Robotics Solution
- (2) Motoman EPL300 robots
- (2) NX100 robot controllers
- (2) Robot base risers
- (2) Custom end-of-arm tools – paddle gripper for bundles and swing arms for pallet handling with vacuum cups for slip sheets
- Slip sheet rack
- (2) Chain-driven live roller (CDLR) conveyors with 90-degree tilt for bundles
- (2) Four-strand chain transfer conveyors
- (4) CDLR conveyors for bundle accumulation
- (2) Three-strand chain conveyors for full pallet discharge
- Pallet dispenser with three-strand chain conveyor
- Controls package, including Allen-Bradley SLC 5/04 PLC with PanelView 6000 Human-Machine Interface (HMI)
- Cell guarding package that meets ANSI/RIA 15.06-1999 safety standard, including: 3.05-m (10') H woven-wire perimeter safety fence; (3) access gates with positive-break safety switches and dual-channel safety hardware; (2) bundle conveyor pass-through openings with fence tunnels; and (2) full pallet conveyor openings with self-muting light curtains
Motoman Robotics provided custom end-of-arm tooling consisting of a pneumatically actuated paddle-style gripper with retractable pallet grabbers to handle individual empty pallets and vacuum cups to handle slip sheets. The paddle gripper is designed to handle one log at a time. Sensors indicate part presence, gripper open/ closed, pallet grippers retracted/extended, and vacuum switches.