Cycle time: approximately 12 seconds each for the various part styles. Customer plans to standardize on Motoman's robotic solutions for all of their tubular assembly automation.
- Provide flexibility to weld two different lengths of automatically fed round tubes made of .005 mm (.125") thick high-tensile steel, and also to add an automatic feeder for square tubes in the future.
- Identify ± 0.5 mm (.020") tube straightness variance in part and maintain tube orientation with high side of tube up.
- Minimize use of floor space.
- Cycle time - 12 seconds or less. Production rate is 2,250 parts per shift with two 7.5-hour shifts per day, for a total of 4,500 parts per day - with four welds on each part.
- Cost/performance was a primary consideration for vendor selection.
Motoman Robotics Solution
Motoman Robotics provided two highly flexible, dual-process solutions. Each system includes:
- Invert-mounted 6-axis K10S robot with MRC and custom end-of-arm tooling (mechanical gripper)
- Dual 6-axis SK6 robots with two MRC controllers
- Allen-Bradley SLC/500 PLC
- ToughGun™ 400-amp air-cooled torches with Tweco adapter kits
- OTC welding package with OTC Turbopulse 350 inverter power source
- Gantry structure used to invert-mount K10S robot
- Automatic tube feeder with height sensor to detect tube high side
- High-speed, AC servo-driven 360° rotating positioner with:
- Three work stations, each with 465.3-kg (1,026-lb) capacity
- 2-second positioning time
- Endless rotation modification
- Common base for positioner. Separate base for SK6 robot MRCs and welding power sources
- Outfeed chute for finished part with automatic parts ejector
- 18 LH and RH sets of custom fixture plates (36 plates total)
- Six sets of locating fixtures on positioner frame
- Integrated safety package including: fencing, arc screen curtains, one light curtain, and two safety interlocked gates