Flexible robotic press tending system meets all project challenges and meets or exceeds project goals. System easily achieves cycle time rate of 575 parts per hour (8% faster than goal of 533). Customer purchased additional robotic press tending lines.
- Load/unload 0.036" gage sheet metal blanks with maximum size of 762 mm x 889 mm (30" x 35") and maximum weight of 5 kg (11 lbs) in an eight press tandem line at a pass line height of 1,066.8 mm (42") ±12.7 mm (0.5") from the floor.
- Achieve cycle time of 533 parts per hour at 100% efficiency, assuming presses operate at 20 SPM, and robots can enter presses at TDC point (fully opened).
- Parts are relatively parallel to the floor, requiring no side-to-side or front-to-back tilting. Dies have locating features that establish accurate part location. Parts will be rotated 180 degrees when passed between presses, but can be loaded with a straight vertical motion without sticking or binding.
- Maximize system throughput by eliminating downtime, and reduce costs by improving productivity and flexibility.
- Reduce the need for manual labor and improve operator safety.
- Mount robots from existing I-beam structure over press pit, and controllers in mezzanine.
- Provide flexible end-of-arm tooling capable of handling multiple part styles, with manual changeover in 10 minutes or less.
Motoman Robotics Solution
Motoman Robotics provided a custom SP80X press handling solution, including:
- (8) Motoman five-axis SP80X robots with XRC 2001 controllers (mounted on mezzanine).
- (8) Robot base risers.
- (8) Motoman Allen-Bradley Remote I/O (MARIO) Cards, I/O expansion racks, and PC card modules.
- (8) Custom end-of-arm tools – vacuum grippers.
- (8) Local operator panels – Allen-Bradley PanelView® Plus 1000 Human-Machine Interfaces (HMIs).
- Allen-Bradley ControlLogix® 5555 PLC for line control.
- (8) Three-color status beacons with audible alarms.
- Allen-Bradley Guard PLC 2000 Safety PLC.
- Cell guarding package with 2.44-m (8') H woven wire perimeter safety fence, double-hinged doors, and 16 operator access gates with positive break safety switches.
- Cable package including all interface cabling between line controller and robots, presses and local operator panels.
Motoman Robotics provided eight sets of identical custom end-of-arm tooling (one per robot), consisting of vacuum gripper assemblies with four vacuum cups per tool, capable of handling one part at a time. Each gripper has two part-present sensors. Same gripper design handles multiple part models. Quick-change coupling, including disconnects with five-pin connectors, allows manual changeover in less than 10 minutes. Right angle mounting brackets, and electrical and pneumatics packages are included.