Motoman Robotics provided a robust welding solution for customer's new facility that can be easily relocated as plant layout changes. Solution meets customer's specification requirements for weld penetration and arc sense monitoring of each weld. Motoman's fixturing package met or exceeded customer's expectations.
- Meet customer specification for weld penetration - including holding part tolerances to < .05 mm (.002").
- Stringent customer requirement to document quality of each weld.
- Meet required cycle time and production rate.
- Meet production rate of 50,000 parts/month based on two shifts.
- Operate safety, particularly during part clamping.
- Customer was first-time robot user and inexperienced with robotic welding processes.
Motoman Robotics Solution
Motoman supplied an ArcWorld™ III 1000 solution, including:
- SK6 robot with 304.8 mm (12") riser
- Motoman 400-amp, air-cooled ToughGun™ welding package, including: torch, safety clutch, pancake wire feeder, side-mount process package, universal welding interface, and start-up kit
- MotoArc 350i power source
- Motoman ArcSense™ monitor (performs critical role on this project; customer must be able to document every weld on every part in case of failure in the field on the part of their customer's end-customer, a major automotive firm)
- Binzel™ reamer-type nozzle cleaning station with stand
- Tregaskiss anti-spatter sprayer
- Common equipment base for MRC, welding power supply, and options
- High-speed, AC servo-driven reciprocating positioner, 350-kg (772-lb) capacity per side, 1,524 mm (60") diameter tabletop, and 2.5-second index time
- Comprehensive guarding package including fence, safety interlocked gate, safety mats, arc screen and curtains
- Fixturing package with pneumatic clamping
Motoman designed and supplied custom pneumatic tooling with two-stage clamping. Additionally, all sensors and clamping are controlled by the MRC controller. The system makes five welds per part, on each of four parts, for a total of 20 welds - well within the required cycle time. The engine mount covers consist of 3 mm (.12") steel and the brackets are 6 mm (.24") steel. The welding torch uses .045" wire.