System fully automates case and gaylord packing operations and meets or exceeds all project goals and objectives. System achieves cycle time of 9.0-9.5 seconds for gaylords, with complete gaylord fill of 25-count bundles in 11.74 minutes (14.9% faster than 13.8 minute requirement), and 50-count bundles in 6.5 minutes (47.1% faster than requirement). System achieves cycle time of 9.0 seconds to pick and place a stack of eight bundles. Overall case packing rate is 5 cases per minute.
(Dimensions are mm (inches) unless otherwise noted.)
- Fully automate case and gaylord bundle packing processes to pack eight 25-count shrink-wrapped bundles of cardboard shipping envelopes into RSC cases at a maximum rate of 40 bpm, and also pack bundles into gaylords with tier sheets between layers at a maximum rate of 40 bpm for 25-count bundles and 20 bpm for 50-count bundles.
- Gaylords hold 46 layers of 25-ct bundles and 23 layers of 50-ct bundles. Wooden base pallets for gaylords are 1,219.2 L x 1,016 W x 133.4 H (48 x 40 x 5.25) and weigh 22.67 kg (50 lbs). Chip-board type material tier sheets are 1,219.2 L x 1,016 W (48 x 40).
- Envelopes are 317.5 L x 262.6 W (12.5 x 10.34) and 25-ct bundles are 22.86 (0.90) H and weigh 1.14 kg (2.51 lbs) while 50-ct bundles are 45.72 (1.8) H and weigh 2.28 kg (5.03 lbs).
- RSC cases are 333.5 L x 247.65 W x 279.4 H (13.13 x 9.75 x 11.0); gaylords are 1,104.9 L x 1,016 W x 1,149.35 H (43.5 x 40 x 45.25).
- Reduce overall floorspace required for both operations.
- Maximize system throughput by eliminating downtime, and reduce costs by improving productivity and flexibility while improving operator safety.
Motoman Robotics Solution
- Motoman Robotics provided a flexible packing HP165 solution, including:
- HP165 robot with NX100 controller.
- Allen-Bradley SLC 5/04 PLC.
- Allen-Bradley PanelView 600 HMI.
- Custom end-of-arm tool (case pack) – mechanical paddle gripper.
- Custom end-of-arm tool (gaylord pack) – vacuum gripper.
- (2) Pallet/gaylord locators.
- Tier sheet pallet stack locator.
- Case conveyor system – 6.2-m (20') L lineshaft conveyor; 457.2 mm (18") effective width; air-operated blade stop, case crowding mechanisms, and flap containment device.
- Bundle infeed conveyor system, includes: 4.57-m (15') belt conveyor with fixed end-stop; layer forming system consisting of pusher unit to move bundle rows onto a table with adjustable side guides, and two case pack bundle up-stacking units.
- Cell guarding package that meets ANSI RIA R15.06-1999 safety standard, including zone ring; perimeter safety fence; five access gates with positive-break safety switches, two light curtains, two conveyor pass-through openings protected by three-sided enclosures to limit operator reach into the cell; and dual-channel safety hardware for access gates and light curtains.
Motoman Robotics provided one set of custom end-of-arm tooling for case packing and one set for gaylord packing. Manual changeover is required. Case packer: single-zone mechanical paddle gripper handles eight 25-ct bundles at a time. Pneumatic paddles compress stacks to facilitate case loading. Gaylord packer: vacuum gripper handles 12 (25- or 50-ct) bundles at a time in a 4 x 3 matrix. Layers are opposed 180° to avoid stack-up. Same gripper also handles tier sheets between layers, as required.