The RW system handles required vial sizes and accurately performs input, output and scrap functions. System easily exceeds customer’s daily throughput needs. Throughput speed can be up to 100% faster than requirement, depending on various factors.
- Handle 11 mm (0.43") diameter, 46 mm (1.81") tall vials with 13.1 mm (0.52") caps.
- Maintain unique identity for nearly 5,000 vials containing unique DNA samples.
- Retrieve vials requested via ordering system.
- Send selected vials to integrated packout system.
- Provide ability to operate Side A and Side B input modules independently.
Motoman Robotics Solution
- RobotWorld RW161 with ORC controller.
- Two standard TM6200 tooling modules that provide X-Y motion, each with four custom independent vacuum grippers featuring Z-stroke and rotate capability.
- Integrated vision system used to read bar codes.
- PC used to interface between ordering system, bar code reading system, and RobotWorld ORC controller.
- Customer-provided vial racks.
- Integrated packaging module (bagger).
- Integrated safety package, including interlocks on access gates, drawer locks on input tray mechanisms, clear polycarbonate guarding, E-stop button on HMI panel.
Motoman Robotics provided custom vacuum grippers with independent Z-axis and rotate capability. These vacuum grippers are mounted on standard TM6200 robot modules that provide the X- and Y-axis motion on RobotWorld’s frictionless air-bearing platen. Each gripper has four spindles that raise/lower, rotate, vacuum grip and release independently. This allows increased throughput by enabling up to four vials to be picked and placed at a time. Sensors on each gripper detect vial presence (vacuum seal achieved), and also indicate spindle retracted position. Gripper will not move unless all spindles are up.